martes, 30 de octubre de 2012

Sequels

The storm has past... at least for those of us who had no major damage... but what happened to those who lost a family member? Did it past for those who lost their homes? Did it past spend for those who have to sleep for days at a shelter? Did it past for small businesses that will have to stop making money and invest in rehabilitating its destroyed place? Apparently the aftermath is as important as the storm itself.

As humans, we are used to make a lot of noise about the storm, and avoid paying attention to the aftermath, debris, and the brokenness storm has left and the sequels we cause ourselves often. Sequels of hatred, despair, bitterness debris, flooding of impatience... Sequels... Aftermath ...

I'll share an story:
5 One who was there had been an invalid for thirty-eight years. 6 When Jesus saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition for a long time, he asked him, “Do you want to get well?” 7 “Sir,” the invalid replied, “I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred. While I am trying to get in, someone else goes down ahead of me.” 8 Then Jesus said to him, “Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.” 9 At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked. The day on which this took place was a Sabbath.

This is the story of a man who was living a storm... for 38 years... Half of a lifetime... if it can be called life. It is the story of a man who not only went through a storm, but a man that had learned to live in the storm. He was a man comfortable in the midst of the storm... and the sequels and aftermath... had taken root... In this case, the sequels were worse than the storm itself. Therefore Jesus' question: “Do you want to get well?

Before judging Jesus of indolent or mocking, I think we should pay attention to the intention behind the question and the intent behind the answer. Look carefully: Jesus asks: “Do you want to get well?... See the complexity of the response. In parenthesis I write what I read between the lines:
     - I have no one... (I'm just in the world.)
     - To help me into the pool... (No charge me and take me.)
     - When the water is stirred... (God stirred the water. Know.)
     - While I am trying to get in... (I do what I can.)
     - Someone else goes down ahead... (People and steals my life where I belong.)

In face of this self-pity party and pain, Jesus answers: “Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.” 

I don't want to sound hard. Jesus wasn't. In fact the motivation of Jesus' question was not only to restore to this man the ability to move his legs, but the ability to move his heart trapped in the debris, sequels and the aftermath of bitterness and pain.

The picture of stagnation and bitterness of this man was no longer just a problem for him... was a problem for the area around the pool. A man lying on the floor for 38 years, accumulating trash, food debris, possibly doing his physical necessities right there... it wasn't only his problem, but of all who passed, those living nearby, those who knew him. So Jesus healed his legs but also his heart, “Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.” ... As if to say I'm healing you... now you can walk... pick up your mat and your mess... clear the atmosphere and begins to walk with an empty past... Clean up your mess and walk.

My heart aches for those who have suffered losses in this storm, but it also hurts for those who have "overcome" storms in their lives, but still live in the debris of pain that the storm has caused them.

I want to tell you today that Jesus still heals paralyzed leg... but especially paralyzed heart and I think He is telling us all today: “Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.” ... because a relationship, a family, a project, a church can not advance through the debris and sequels of the past. You clean up your mess and walk... Let's get to work.

JUST SAYING!!!

0 comments:

Publicar un comentario